This is a delicious basil pesto alternative, bulging with summer sun and so easy to make. Perfect on toast or fresh bread, as a dip, tossed through pasta, dolloped on baked potato or any way you fancy.
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- pinch of sea salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups sunflower petals, removed from centres, lightly packed
- 1/3 cup olive oil, or more to make a thinner texture
Pluck the sunflower petals, and lightly press them into a cup.
Toast the sunflower seeds on the hob until very lightly browned.
Combine the sunflower seeds and salt in a pestle and mortar or food processor, and blend/mash to a rustic paste.
Add the petals, lemon juice and zest, and olive oil, and continue to blend/mash until the desired consistency is reached.
Great too for barbecues and if you’re thinking barbecues - check out our lovely Mini Pinny’s - cool and light and perfect for layering whatever the weather!